Sunday, 5 December 2010

Hello from your local treasurer

My name is Simon Gibbs and I was confirmed Treasurer for the South East Region at the Party's AGM. By way of introduction, the following is adapted from the speech I gave in support of my candidacy.

I've followed the progress of LPUK for 2 years via the blogs and signed up just over a year ago. That was triggered by my desire be active promoting Libertarianism, assisting Rob Waller in St Albans in October 2009.

The Fabian ideas which permeate each of the major parties resemble a giant vat of toxic waste with the rivets of its walls rusting and it's sides ready to burst. In order to stop the inevitable destruction which these ideas will lead to they must be actively opposed and rational sustainable policies must be promoted in their place. This is a massive long term effort and I believe a Libertarian Party addresses the need for measurable progress along the way.

As a treasurer in a region, the official workload be light as finances are handled centrally at the moment. I will use the title as a platform from which to offer my help as a simple administrator. Recognizing that my own time is limited I've volunteered to focus on three simple things which I believe will help the party to gain momentum:

Transport

I will work with party candidates to identify their need for feet on the ground and price up transport deals which activists will be able to opt into. I have also volunteered to drive as required.

Creative projects

I will take on the arrangement of design and printing for leaflets and other products for use in election campaigns and membership drives.

Brainstorming and coordination

In order for the first two to have any meaning, there must be a range of purposeful activities taking place. The first step then, is to create a new forum for people with the ideas and enthusiasm for action to get together and make plans. I have seen and heard a lot of creativity and a lot of good ideas about what the party can do, and I'd love to see those things happening.

The plan is to invite people along 30 minutes early to the regular drinks at the Rose and Crown and talk there.

No comments: